Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lack of Knowlegde

I thought the activity was a good little exercise and although it was simple it worked well. I will be using something along those lines in my classes and some point in the future. Cheers Curt.
Ok, so I was the so called expert on how teachers can overcome their lack of knowledge in a classroom. Depending on the class an especially a class whereby oppositional readings will be the focus, the teacher needs to be very competent indeed.
Overall, if there’s a class where the teacher lacks knowledge, I think there are a few ways to get around this matter.
I think the first main one is to be confident. Teachers must show that they are confident in front of the class, this will gain students trust and they will believe in you, in turn the student will have greater respect for the teacher.  I’ve seen teachers from back home while I was at school and over here completely fall apart in class because they lack in knowledge and ability. They lose confidence and quickly lose control of the class and the students respect.
If the teacher hasn’t the knowledge for a particular class, then I feel it’s up to them to make sure they are fully prepared for the class. When I first started teaching my class prep was way more than the class time, I had no idea on some topics and subjects and therefore I had to read up and try to understand what it was I was teaching. Even now, I recently got business writing classes, which I have never taught and never studied, so I had to spend a week before the semester started to read through the book and kind of teach myself some of the rules, the format and other information that I didn’t know, which eventually I would pass on the students.
Within preparation and confidence, I feel the teacher must be ready for questions from the class, they must anticipate what will be asked and have some answers and solutions ready so they know what they are talking about. With this I don’t think teachers should say a load of BS but if they can pretend convincingly in class, then after class find the true answers or theories or whatever, then go back next class and explain that they made a little mistake or that they’ve something to add.
And I think with all teachers, educators, professors and anyone else in education, if you want to be on the ball, then you have to continue studying yourself, whether it be researching and/or taking more courses at universities or whatever. Education changes and teachers have to match this change so that they are the top of their game and can deliver the best class possible to their students

2 comments:

  1. Good point Andy -I think we too often decide to wing it when we have more complex topics to teach, with predictable results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I don’t remember you saying this much to me in class…lol, kidding^^!

    ReplyDelete